When you want to pay for an in-person gathering or event, The University makes available the GEMS systems as the preferred process for these payments. The LBC provides training and support for the use of this system.
- GEMS – the University’s corporate credit card that works in conjunction with the web-based expense management system. The card provides faculty and staff with a convenient method of procuring and paying for travel expenditures and small dollar purchases.
- GEMS System Login Page: https://gems.uchicago.edu/login/auth.php
- GEMS Quick Start Guide: https://gems.uchicago.edu/resources/forms/GEMSQuickStartGuide.doc
The faculty and staff GEMS card is a university issued credit card and is the preferred method paying for in-person gatherings or events. The GEMS card typically has a $500 single purchase procurement limit; but does not apply to Business Meals.
The University has a rule prohibiting purchasing on one receipt any one item out of pocket that totals over $500 and requesting reimbursement (all travel arrangements being the notable exception). Please see policy below.
Please contact your Business Manager or Grants Specialist if you need to purchase goods that cost more than $500, reimburse students or visitors, or pay individuals for services. It is important to discuss these transactions before you incur the expense as these commitments may have tax implications that must be considered. Also, the documentation required to disburse funds to foreigners can be difficult to navigate. Therefore, asking questions early in the process is critical to a successful outcome.
Supporting Documentation Standards
Each disbursement transaction must be supported by adequate documentation. This requirement is primarily driven by federal regulations, but even more basic than that-it is just good business practice. If the University is making the payment, it should know precisely what it is paying for. This document describes the various supporting documentation requirements of the University.
- All receiptsmust sufficiently detail the item(s) that were purchased.
- All expenses must be adequately documented whether a receipt is required.
- Receiptsare required for all expenses of $75 or more. Hotel/lodging expenses are an exception and must have receipts regardless of dollar amounts.
- Meals charged to grants are required to have a detailed/itemized receipt no matter what amount.
- A description of the good or service purchased/business purpose, date of purchase, and amount of expense must accompany all requests for reimbursement or payment.
- Proof of Payment is required.
- Lost receipts requirements:
- A note acknowledging the receipt(s) was lost
- Confirm reimbursement will not occur from another source
- Description of the item(s) that were purchased, business purpose, date of occurrence, and amount of expense
- Lost receipts requirements:
To learn more about paying for an in-person gathering or event, please contact SSD Local Business Center at SSD-LBC@uchicago.edu and the LBC Grant Specialist assigned to your accounts will get in touch with you within two business days.
GEMS System Login Page: https://gems.uchicago.edu/login/auth.php
GEMS Quick Start Guide: https://gems.uchicago.edu/resources/forms/GEMSQuickStartGuide.doc